1984 - by George Orwell
The book was published in 1949 portraying what the life in a totalitarian country would be like in 1984. Only through reading this cautionary tale that I understand a few governments better. What were described in the book have become realities in a few countries: mass surveillance, repressive regimentation of people, cult of personality, Ministry of Truth. Some very interesting memes are so vividly captured by George Orwell’s language:
- Big brother is watching you.
- The party’s three slogans
- War is peace
- Freedom is slavery
- Ignorance is strength
- Thought Police: the secret police who discover and punish thoughtcrime.
- Doublethink: simultaneously accepting two conflicting beliefs about truths.
- 2+2 = 5: a Soviet Union slogan from the second five-year plan, which encouraged fulfillment of the five-year plan in four years (1929-1932)